Looking for the Canadian scholarships?
We have selected the top 10 scholarships you must apply for in Canada, provided you meet their requirements. We covered everything you need to know to effectively apply your applications for a scholarship.
Foreign master’s and doctoral honors at the University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Degree Awards are excellent funding opportunities for international students. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
Eligible students must be enrolled in full-time research-based graduate programs at the University of Waterloo and have a valid study permit in Canada
Students must meet their program’s academic achievement criteria and have no unresolved probationary acceptance conditions, receive external honors or sponsorships at the same time, or be self-funded
Priced at $2,045 per 2-year term (Master’s) or $4,090 per 3-year term (PhD)
Trillium Scholarship to Ontario
The Ontario Trillium Scholarship system is aimed at recruiting some of Ontario’s best eligible foreign students for their Ph.D. studies. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
— OTS is priced at $40,000 per year and is indefinitely renewable for a further three years
Every year six new winners are chosen at Waterloo
The beneficiaries must be foreign students holding a valid Canadian study permit and planning to undertake full-time doctoral studies in a degree program.
Academic Honors, University of Calgary
International students are eligible to apply for many of the awards granted by the University of Calgary Bureau of Graduate Scholarships. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
After submitting an application for admission and obtaining a student number from the University of Calgary you may apply for awards.
You may apply for diploma awards; you are not chosen automatically.
The grant value ranges from $1,000 to $40,000 and includes numerous fields of research.
UBC Regional Leadership Degree Fellowships
The Fellowships for Graduate Global Leadership allow promising leaders from developing countries to pursue doctoral studies at UBC. The fellowships seek to help foreign students who demonstrate exemplary leadership in their home country’s humanitarian and development work. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
- The scholarship is $18,200 per annum plus four-year fees
- Next year, two new bonds will be issued
- Being a resident of a developing country like India
Criteria for Assessment
The selection shall be made according to the following criteria:
# 1 (30 percent) Academic Excellence
# 2 Capacity / Opportunity for study (30 per cent)
# 3 Leadership in political and sustainable growth at home (40 per cent)
College Scholarships in Canada-Master ‘s Program
The goal of the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master ‘s (CGS M) program is to help improve research skills and promote highly skilled staff training by supporting students who show a high degree of achievement in both undergraduate and early graduate studies. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
- Priced at $17,500, non-renewable, for 12 months
- Enroll, register or register for full-time admission to a qualifying Master’s or Doctoral degree program at a Canadian institution with a CGS M allocation
Scholarships to Foreign Students at Carleton University
Scholarships to study at Carleton University in Canada, open to all graduate students, who are immediately considered upon applying for the awards.
Such scholarships are based on the previous degree’s academic grades and are only for students of high quality.
Your department will make recommendations for such scholarships during the review. Such scholarships are worth $1,000-$ 12,000 a year.
For more information on the Carleton University scholarships, click here.
Financial Assistance and Scholarships to Simon Fraser University
A number of scholarships and other funding incentives for either studying or intending to study at Simon Fraser University, both domestic and foreign students.
Furthermore, bursaries are open to foreign students. Bursaries are an alternative funding mechanism for students with proven financial need; that is, they should not be viewed as the primary source of funding.
The requirement for Eligibility: You must apply for a bursary:
- Have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 at SFU (exempted for first-term students at SFU).
- Enroll in an authorized program full time, unless otherwise specified.
- Have proven financial necessity (as assessed by SFU).
For more information please click here.
Bachelor’s program in Ontario
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) program is sponsored by the provincial government to foster excellence in the Master’s and Doctoral level graduate studies. It is a merit-based scholarship, and scholarships are open to candidates of all academic research fields, including foreign students. Primary aspects of the scholarship include:
- It is estimated at $15,000 per annum
- The minimum period for which the scholarship will be held is two consecutive terms
- Be a foreign student studying in Ontario with a permit to study to apply for this award
Criteria for Assessment
Selection uses the following three parameters as its basis:
# 1 Academic Excellence, weighing 30-50 per cent and as academic transcripts have shown, list of competitive scholarships, distinctions, and honors
# 2 Study Ability and Capacity in Program Studies, weighing between 30% and 50%, as evidenced by reviews, conferences, presentations, and originality
# 3 Communication and leadership Capacity with a weight of 0-20 percent and a list of appropriate volunteers, leadership and academic work experience as demonstrated
Bursaries to Trudeau Foundation
In terms of reach and stature in the world, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation’s doctoral scholarships in humanities and social sciences are unique. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
- Up to 15 scholarships are awarded each year to Canadian and international doctoral candidates
- Its annual value is up to a limit of $60,000 per scholar for three years
- A non-Canadian (permanent resident or foreign national) who is enrolled full time in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution may be up to one scholar in four per year.
- Research areas for which this award is granted in Humanities and Social Sciences: Human Rights and Integrity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada in the World and People and their Natural Environment
The Canadian Government provides Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships to foreign students pursuing postgraduate studies in the natural and social sciences or health research fields. Here are the main points of the scholarship:
- 70 Fellowships are awarded annually; at any time, a limit of up to 140 awards are available
- Priced at $70,000 per annum for up to 2 years